This project concerns a refurbished building in the city of Lamia, in central Greece. It was built during the interwar period, in 1927, and it is located at an exceptionally significant road that once constituted the link between the city’s ancient market and the old fort-yard. It was firstly operating as a bank during the years 1940-1980, but due to extremely severe issues of stability it was vacated and remained abandoned for many years.
In 2000 the building permit was approved and at the end of the same year all the repair constructions were set to begin. Three years later the building was ready to function again as a branch store of the National Bank of Greece. The plan also included an additional building that would house the residence of the bank’s director which was completed a few months later.
The building was characterised as a historical monument in 1985, therefore during the reconstruction of the building some very serious decisions had to be made that concerned which parts of it could be preserved and which not. The building was facing several problems of poor stability, problematic inner arrangement and due to the fact that it remained abandoned for so many years, it constituted an easy access for intruders that caused damages.
All the previous facts led the reconstruction all of its internal parts but to maintain the external facades in such a way as not to alternate its character and disconnect it with its past. In the underground level were discovered the remainings of a fountain of the late Classical period that were placed in a window display and are accessible to the public.